Nicknamed Cowtown by people, Calgary is a city that conjures up a romantic idea of the untamed wild west. However, it would be a mistake to think of Calgary as just the home of cowboys and cattle drives as the city is much more than that. As the largest city in the province of Alberta and the oil capital of the country, Calgary has always been an important city in North America. The rich history and culture of the city make it the perfect spot for your next big trip. Booking flights to Calgary is the perfect way to kickstart a holiday that you will never forget. But before you can start your journey, here is a list of all the tourist attractions in the city that you need to add to your itinerary.
- Calgary Stampede: Started back in the 1880s, the Calgary Stampede takes place over a course of 10 days, and it is a highlight of summers in Calgary. Some even call it the greatest outdoor show, and booking cheap flights to Calgary for this one event is totally worth all the money you spend. This famous festival features a big parade, concerts, shows, and several exhibitions. There is much that you can see and enjoy here when you experience this festival.
- Calgary Zoo and Prehistoric Park: Spread over an area of 120 acres, this zoological park is located on St. George’s Island. Home to over 1000 animals, this park houses almost 272 species of endangered, rare, and other animals. The main attraction of this zoo is hands down a pair of pandas. Other things to check out here include the Canadian Wilds, Land of Lemurs, and Destination Africa. Kids can also enjoy the sight of replica dinosaurs here. Whatever your age is, you will surely be able to find something to enjoy here.
- Calgary Tower: The Calgary Tower is a landmark building in the city. Standing 191 meters tall, the top floor features a viewing platform with a glass floor. Here you can enjoy a stunning view of this brilliant city. Apart from that, you can also enjoy a great meal at the revolving restaurant here. Having food while looking over the city is probably one of the best activities to enjoy in the city. If you are interested in the architecture and history of the tower, then you can find out more by watching a fun movie that plays here. The movie shows you highlights of the tower construction and offers other tidbits about the place.
- WinSport: The Calgary Olympic Park is another major tourist attraction in the city. Located on the West side of the city at the foothills of the mountains that surround the area, there are several strange yet interesting towers of WinSport. This place was once the site for the Winter Olympics, and today you can enjoy various adventure sports like skiing and snowboarding here. The indoor skating rink here is one of the best attractions in this park, and here you can enjoy professional and casual skating sessions when you visit.
- Prince’s Island Park: Located next to the Eau Claire Market, Prince’s Island Park attracts several tourists. This is a popular spot for travelers in the city. The park covers an area of almost 50 acres and is situated to the north of the downtown area. This island park is connected to the mainland area via three bridges in total. The finest time to visit this park is summer. As the weather at this time is great for outdoor activities, you can freely enjoy concerts, plays, or simply ride a bike around the park. Once you are done enjoying all the activities that this park has to offer, you can also enjoy a great meal at the restaurant here with your friends and family.
- Studio Bell: If music is your passion, then this is one place in the city that you just cannot miss out on. Music is one of the things that everyone loves. Regardless of your age or tastes, music is one thing that connects people. The Studio Bell is a great place if you are looking to learn more about music. The museum here houses numerous artifacts related to music and also several musical instruments. You can enjoy a guided tour of this fantastic place when you visit and dive deeper into the history of music here.
- The Hangar Flight Museum: All those fascinated by anything to do with aviation will have a blast at this museum. Focused mainly on the history of aviation in Canada and especially the Western part of the country, this museum holds a great deal of knowledge. The display of all the artifacts and information-on is fascinating beyond words. Whether you want to gain more knowledge or simply look around, this museum will surely be able to impress you in every way. Regardless of your interests, make sure that you pay at least one visit to this place.
- Fort Calgary: Last but not least on this list is a historical spot that was constructed in the year 1875. Fort Calgary is an important historical spot in the city. Here you can explore the ruins of the fort. For history buffs, there is also a museum with much on display. The museum is a great place to learn all about the background of the fort and dive deeper into the history of the area. Once you are done sightseeing, you can also get a souvenir at the gift shop here.
These tourist attractions should leave no doubt in your mind and answer your question why I should book my flight to Calgary. These places are not only a treat for the eyes, but they will also give you the opportunity to learn more about the history of the city when you book flights and get YYC deals . Whatever your idea of a perfect holiday is, Calgary will surely prove to be the city that fulfills all your travel dreams.