Mathematics is a very broad subject. Some people find it quite easy whereas others find it difficult. One can learn something in the best way if they enjoy that thing. Don’t ever study maths in a distressed way as this will only make the learning process difficult for you. So, the first and foremost requirement is don’t be afraid of maths.
Don’t keep a phobia of maths in your mind. The more you approach learning it in a relaxed way, the more it will be easier for you to understand. Moreover, almost every discipline has some tips and tricks to make it easier to understand. Here , in this article we will be discussing useful tips and tricks in mathematics. We will discuss some number tips as well as some practical tips on how to learn maths faster.
Practical tips to be followed for learning maths faster-
- Practice- as the old saying goes “ practice makes a man perfect”. Do lots of practice. Only practice would enable you to have a solid grasp of mathematics. Practice worksheets, exercises that are given in your book. Never miss a question. Make sure you never miss your class-work as well as home-work. Ask your teacher to give you extra practice questions. By following all this you yourself will see a difference in you with time. Practice is the only way to get better in maths.
- Learn concepts not cram- for having a good grasp on maths , it is essential that you learn the concepts sequentially. Cramming is not good in the long run. First understand your question or problem thoroughly, then try to find the logic and then attempt a solution to the problem. In this way you will be able to gain from scratch and you don’t have to cram anything.
- Assess your mistakes- maths is an objective subject. There will always be one solution to each problem. But there are many ways to find that one correct answer. In order to find the answer to your problem follow the step-by-step approach. It will help you in evaluating where you went wrong. Identifying your mistakes and then applying the right solution to get your answer will make your foundation strong.
- Get help- getting help will make things easier for you. Maybe you already know the solution to your problem but a tutor might help you in getting a better solution or a shortcut method for your problem. As you know there are multiple ways to solve a problem in mathematics, a tutor will guide you in the right direction. He will help you understand which solution is best and easy to apply.
- Use real-world examples- using concrete examples is the best way to learn maths quickly and easily. These every-day situations will help you in understanding the concept and memorizing it easily. Real world examples include- baking( measuring the ingredients in the kitchen), measuring distance(how much mileage does your bike give in half tank fuel) etc.
- Use technology- using technology for learning has become so popular in recent years. There are so many helpful resources available online for your practice. There are even many apps which create games for you to learn the concepts of maths in a fun and engaging way. Nowadays, online tutoring is also available. There are many sites which offer online tutoring for mathematics. You can get yourself enrolled in one of those and get help from the tutors there. Also, they provide so many test series and practice sets which will make your mathematical skills faster.
- Distraction-free- doing maths requires concentration. So, it’s important that you avoid a distracting environment. Whenever you sit and do maths, do it with full concentration. Research has shown that playing some lite music in the background improves your focus. So you might consider playing some music if you feel it helps.
If you follow these tips you will surely find improvement in yourself. After these tips let’s discuss the basic mathematical tricks that will help you further.
- Round-off- adding small numbers is quite easy but when it comes to large numbers doing it mentally gets quite difficult. The best way to do this is rounding off the numbers. For example – you have to add 784+238
Step1- round off 784 to 790
Step2- round off 238 to 240
Step3- add 790 and 240= 1030
Step4- now how much we have added to the each number get a total of that and subtract from 1030
Step5- subtract 8 from 1030
Hence 1022 is the answer.
- Multiplying by 5- for multiplying by 5 , follow these steps
For even numbers- half the number you are multiplying by 5 and then add a 0 in the end.
For eg- 5*8
Half of 8 is 4
Add 0 after 4
Answer is 5*8=40
For odd numbers- deduct 1 from the odd number and take a half of it. After that add 5 as the last digit
For example- 5*7
Half of 6 is 3
Add 5 in the end
Answer is 5*7=35
- Subtraction from 1000- if you have to subtract a number from 1000 then follow this rule
leaving the last digit, subtract every digit from 9. After that subtract the last digit from 10.
For example- 1000-984
Answer is 16
- Multiplying the number that has 0’s in the last- if you are multiplying two numbers that have zeros in the last , simply multiply the number leaving the zeros. After multiplying add the number of zeros in the end.
For example- 300*600
Step1- multiply 3 and 6. 3*6=18
Step 2- add the total zeros in the end , the answer will be 180000
- Percentage- if you have to find the percentage of the number then follow these steps
For example you have to find out 5%of 375
Step1-move the decimal point by one place i.e. 375 will be 37.5
Step2- divide the number by 2, i.e. 37.5/2=18.75
Answer is 18.75
- Division- here are the divisibility tricks to let you know when a number is divisible by 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10.
-a number is divisible by 2 if it ends in 0, 2, 4, 6, 8. All even numbers are divisible by 2.
-a number is divisible by 3 if the sum of the digits of the number is divisible by 3.
-a number is divisible by 4 if the last two digits are divisible by 4.
-a number is divisible by 5 if it ends in a 0 or 5.
-a number is divisible by 6 if it is divisible by both 2 and 3.
-a number is divisible by 8 if the last three digits of a number are divisible by 8 or are 000.
-a number is divisible by 9 if the sum of the digits of the number is divisible by 9.
-a number is divisible by 10 if the last digit of the number is 0.
Lots of students get intimidated by maths problems. They often find maths as the most difficult discipline but if you follow simple tricks and tips that will help you a lot in a long way. Maths is all about having a strong hold of basics and then moving further learning complex concepts. No one can become better overnight. It takes a lot of practice and patience. Only consistent efforts made in the right direction will give you fruitful results.